Sunday, May 31, 2009

Long Lived Shelby....A Little Too Long.
















I have had Shelby since I was eight. When we found her we guessed that she was around a year or two old, which would make her now almost 20.

About a year after Ryan and I were married, my Dad talked us in to taking her with us under the impression that she would only live a few more years. Well, it's been 6 and she was still going strong, or acting anyway. Unfortunately so was the smell in our room. As most old cats do, she started peeing in our bedroom. That's when enough was enough.

I had the carpets cleaned which meant the cat had to go. Ryan took her to go put her down. I didn't think I would have such a hard time with it, but I cried when he left. Hailey kept asking me why I was crying. I figured that she would eventually find out so I just told her that the kitty cat went to go live with Heavenly Father. She was upset for about a minute, and then asked if she could get a bunny rabbit. I wish I could forget about my problems that fast. :)

I didn't just put her down because she was peeing everywhere. She also was completely deaf, was going blind, had hardly any teeth and started pooping blood. I would rather do it now anyway then let her suffer.

I really loved that cat, and she was such a sweetheart, but I will NEVER own a cat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment